Sunday 25 November 2012

Tyre-less Workers



Wednesday 2 February 2011

Sorry for the pun - I couldn't resist it.
The tyre company of W T Woolford & Son. They have been keeping the wheels of Wellingborough turning since the dawn of time - at least thirty years.
As I waited, I looked around at the buildings. It dawned on me that I was looking at an old farm; there were barns or sheds, a farmhouse and an old stone cottage. I asked the tyre men about it and was indeed a farm.
The chap on the left of the pic lives in the old farmhouse and is probably the "& Son" in the company name. He told me that he'd seen an old plan which showed several other outbuildings and cottages. The farm went when a new road was put in which was probably late 19th or early 20th century.
He has looked for pictures of the farm but hasn't turned anything up yet.
By the farmhouse was another reminder of times past - a laundry wringer. Made locally in Rushden (This area of Northamptonshire was known for shoemaking and ironwork).
I asked if I could snap it and no sooner had I started when a lady came out and asked me if I had permission to photograph it. She wasn't entirely happy until I told her that the main man had given his consent.
The business doesn't have email or a website - they get all the business they can handle without it, mainly because their prices a much better than the competition.
I'll be taking three copies of the picture to them as a thanks for letting me snap away and for the chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment