Sunday 25 November 2012

The End of The World



24th February 2007.
Punta Arenas, Chile, looking across to Tierra del Fuego. I felt like I was close to the ends of the earth. Patagonia has a lonely, desolate beauty that exerts a very powerful pull on many people, including me. This was my one and only visit (in 2007). It was summer and freezing and I've wanted to go back ever since.
I made friends with our local guide who, along with many of her friends, regard themselves as Magallanicos, as they are far away from where decisions are made in Santiago and often feel that they get short shrift.
In 2011 the region made the news when many tourists were stranded after the locals went on strike and blockaded all routes out (there are not many to blockade) after the Piñera government decided to raise fuel prices by 16%. In a region where heating is needed all year and jobs are scarce, it was a serious issue. My friend was trapped in Torres del Paine national Park with a group - I think they ended up hiking out after several days.


No comments:

Post a Comment