Sunday 25 November 2012

Muscle Shoals Alabama: The Queen of Soul



Wednesday 26 September 2012

I've been to Sun Studios in Memphis, where Elvis, Johnny Cash, Howlin' Wolf and many others made their first recordings and I've been to RCA Studio B in Nashville where anyone who was anyone in country recorded. Today, I visited FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama where Jerry Wexler of Atlantic Records brought the newly signed Aretha Franklin to try and harness the magic that she possessed. That day, she worked with the Muscle Shoals Horns, organist Spooner Oldham found the groove, the musicians followed, Aretha responded at the piano and let rip with that voice and the result was I Never Loved A Man & Do Right Woman, Do Right Man. A star was born.
I can now die happy (but not too soon).




No comments:

Post a Comment