Thursday 19 September 2013

A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu

I spend a lot of time looking back these days; maybe because I have more past than future. I'm not alone: I peek at nostalgia sites for the town of Newhaven where I grew up to find several familiar faces from my childhood posting there.
I've taken pictures since I was ten and most of them were put into albums and forgotten about, but as time goes on, I want to sort them out; remember the times and the people captured in those images and maybe chart my path through life via the pictures that document it.
Truth be told, I'm not sure why I want to do it but I know I have to do it. Is it for my family or for whoever might happen upon it? Or just for me?  I may figure it out one day.
I also have the family photos, some going back to the nineteenth century. I feel like I'm the guardian of the family jewels, though nobody else has shown much interest in them - just as well, as I wouldn't give them up without a fight.
When we were kids, we used to get the photos out at my grandparent's house and go through them. They would reminisce while telling us stories about the people in the pictures and giving us glimpses into their lives. I look at those same photos now and see some familiar faces but there are many who mean nothing to me; I should have written those names down when my grandparents were still around. Too late now and it's the same with my parent's photos, though at least we know most of the faces in those as we met them and lots of them are still around.
I want to document my pictures while I have the chance.
This photo is a case in point. I took this at a Pow Wow in England in the mid-Seventies when I was aged nineteen or twenty. I went with my friend and co-worker at Woolworth's, Alan. He was into Native American culture at the time (He changed enthusiasms on a fairly regular basis back then, though a quick check on the net reveals that he's into rockabilly and Rock 'n' Roll, which he discovered not long after our pow wow adventure).
All I remember was that it was in Northolt and that there was a miniature railway running around the perimiter of the park. Thanks to Google Satellite, I was able to pinpoint the location as the Northolt Community Centre by zooming in on that railway track.
I wanted to find out more so I searched the web for UK pow wow sites. I found a few but they were rather neglected. I sent emails and received no replies, though I found a link to a Facebook page through one of the sites - Pow Wow England. They were able to put names to several of the faces and I've put the pictures up on their FB page so that others who are likey to be interested can see them and maybe be connected to their past (There are not many old photos of British pow wows up on the net).


Ted Blackmore in the mid 1970s Identified for me courtesy of the good folks at Pow Wow England
You can see the rest of them Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment